Canadian Minimum Wage Rates
The following Canadian minimum wage rates give a brief summary of the minimum wage rates of the provinces and territories. (Updated September 15, 2017)
Provincial Minimum Wage Rates
BC Minimum Wage Rate
Current minimum hourly wage in British Columbia $11.35 (increased to $11.35 on Sept 15, 2017)
(Applicable to all employees - whether hourly, salary, commission, or incentive based).
Minimum wage per hour for employees serving liquor: $10.10 plus tips earned ($10.10 from September 15, 2017).
- Live-in home support workers: the minimum wage is: $113.50 per day or part day worked (from September 15, 2017).
- Resident caretakers: (in apartment buildings with more than 9 to 60 suites), the minimum wage is: $651.00 per month plus $26.09 per each suite (from September 15, 2017).
- Resident caretakers: (in apartment buildings with more than 60 suites), the minimum monthly salary is: $2,319.65 per month. (from September 15, 2017).
- Live-in camp leaders: the minimum wage is: $86.80 per day (from September 15, 2017).
- Crop harvesters: the minimum wage is calculated on a piece rate basis which is based on gross volume or weight (from September 15, 2017 the minimum wage will also be raised for crop harvesters).
For more on:
In BC, the Employment Standards Act is administered by the Employment Standards Branch of the Ministry of Labour and Citizens' Services.
Alberta Minimum Wage Rate
Alberta's Employment Standards Regulation outlines three minimum wage rates:
- Minimum wage in Alberta (includes students and youth): $13.60 per hour (Alberta’s general minimum wage will rise to $13.60 per hour effective October 1, 2017.).
- Minimum wage in Alberta (serving liquor): $13.60 per hour (the previous liquor server rate was abolished effective October 1, 2017.).
- Minimum weekly rate for salespersons and professionals: $542 per week (effective October 1, 2017).
- Minimum monthly wage for domestic employees: $2,582 per month(effective October 1, 2017).
Other Provincial Minimum Wage Rates
Saskatchewan Minimum Wage Rate
Manitoba Minimum Wage Rate
Ontario Minimum Wage Rate
- Ontario Minimum Wage Rate: $11.60 per hour (raised to $11.60 on Oct 1, 2017)
$10.10 Liquor Servers (since October 1, 2017)
$10.90 Student Under 18 (less than 28 HRs/wk) (since October 1, 2017).
- Ontario Ministry of Labour.
Quebec Minimum Wage Rate
Nova Scotia Minimum Wage Rate
Prince Edward Islands Minimum Wage Rate
- Prince Edward Island Minimum Wage Rate: $10.75 per hour. (On June 1, 2017, PEI’s minimum wage was adjusted from $10.50 per hour to $10.75 per hour and on October 1, 2017, minimum wage will increase to $11.00 per hour).
- PEI Employment Standards Act.
Newfoundland and Labrador Minimum Wage Rate
New Brunswick Minimum Wage Rate
Northwest Territories Minimum Wage Rate
Yukon Minimum Wage Rate
Nunavut Minimum Wage Rate
The above Canadian minimum wage rates serve as brief summaries of the minimum wage rates only, of the provinces and territories. They are not to serve as substitutes for the official statutes.
Canadian Minimum Wage