Canada Labour Code (CLC):
Federal Employment Law
The Canada Labour Code (CLC) is a federal Act consolidating the labour (employment) statutes that govern "federal work, undertaking or business" meaning any work, undertaking or business that falls under federal jurisdiction.
These work or business undertakings would involve the following activities:
- navigation and shipping, covering all transportation by ship both inland and maritime, anywhere in Canada;
- railway, canal, telegraph undertakings that connects any provinces;
- any shipping lines connecting one province with any other province;
- ferry transportation between any provinces and any other country;
- all aerodromes, and all air transportation systems and operations;
- all radio broadcasting operations;
- all banks including authorized foreign banks, which are governed by the Bank Act (S.C. 1991, c. 46);
- a business undertaking that, although wholly located within a province, is deemed to be for the general benefit of Canada, or for the benefit of two or more of the provinces;
- a business undertaking that falls outside the exclusive legislative authority of the provincial legislatures; and
- any business undertaking or activity that falls under section 2 of the Oceans Act or any regulations under that Act.
Read more... Canada Labour Code (PDF Full Document).
Current Regulations made under the Canada Labour Code (CLC)
- Aviation Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Banking Industry Commission-paid Salespeople Hours of Work Regulations
- Broadcasting Industry Commission Salesmen Hours of Work Regulations
- Canada Industrial Relations Board Regulations, 2001
- Canada Industrial Relations Regulations
- Canada Labour Standards Regulations (C.R.C., c. 986)
- Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Coal Mining Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- East Coast and Great Lakes Shipping Employees Hours of Work Regulations, 1985 (C.R.C., c. 987)
- Maritime Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Motor Vehicle Operators Hours of Work Regulations (C.R.C., c. 990)
- Oil and Gas Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- On Board Trains Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
- Ontario Hydro Nuclear Facilities Exclusion from Part I of the CLC Regulations (Industrial Relations)
- Ontario Hydro Nuclear Facilities Exclusion from Part II of the CLC Regulations (Occupational Health and Safety)
- Ontario Hydro Nuclear Facilities Exclusion from Part III of the CLC Regulations (Labour Standards)
- Point Lepreau, New Brunswick Nuclear Facility Exclusion Regulations (Parts I, II and III of the CLC and the Non-Smokers' Health Act)
- Railway Running-Trades Employees Hours of Work Regulations (C.R.C., c. 991)
- Regulations Respecting the Manner of Selection and Term of Office of the Members of the Coal Mining Safety Commission
- Safety and Health Committees and Representatives Regulations
- Saskatchewan Uranium Mines and Mills Exclusion Regulations
- Uranium Mines (Ontario) Employment Exclusion Order
- West Coast Shipping Employees Hours of Work Regulations (C.R.C., c. 992)
Read more... Regulations made under this Act.
For more information, or assistance, regarding the application of this Federal Labour Code contact us.